This course offers both Full Time and Part Time
Master of Science (MSc): Total 24 months (18-months continuous study without term holidays )
- Regular Class: 3-hours classroom lesson – 2 to 3 times per week
- Consultation: Once a week
- Weekday lessons start: 7pm to 10pm
- Saturday lesson start: 2.30pm to 5.30pm
8 exam modules and a Research Dissertation
- Economic context of the property market: property use, investment and development
- The property professions: their role, ethical conduct and regulatory framework
- Definitions of price, value and investment value (worth)
- Introduction to the principal techniques of property valuation
- Valuation and appraisal mathematics: Present and Future Value, DCF, NPV and IRR
- The valuation process
- Analysis of market evidence and measurement practice
- Application of valuation conventional techniques to various property types and interests
- Introduction to contemporary methods
- Application of contemporary methods
- Investment theory and the investment decision; the nature of risk and return; the characteristics of property as an investment; the role of property in the multi-asset portfolio; the application of modern portfolio theory; introduction to international real estate portfolio analysis performance monitoring; the emergence of new financial products in the property sector, and market efficiency and the cause of mis-pricing, real estate derivatives
- Investment appraisal: An examination of current issues in investment appraisal;
- Critical evaluation of conventional valuation techniques.
- Complex valuation problems: landlord and tenant incentives, surrender and renewal.
- Contemporary/current issues: over-renting, short leases and break options.
- Advanced methods: option pricing and arbitrage.
- Investment valuation (worth): DCF and risk analysis; scenarios, sensitivity and computer simulation
- Microsoft excel and valuation
- Mass appraisal: application of statistical techniques for property appraisal:
- Multiple regression analysis (MRA)
- Application of advanced computer packages
- Business appraisal:
- Financial reporting
- Analysis of balance sheets and profit and loss accounts
- Valuation of special business properties (e.g., hotels)
- Professional valuation and appraisal software
- Structural Requirements for Buildings
- Substructure Design – Foundations
- Substructure Design – Basements
- Structural frames and suspended floors
- Superstructure – External walls and cladding
- Superstructure – Roofs
- Services in Buildings
- Offsite construction
- Low carbon construction
- Underlying dynamics of urban structural change within individual cities and within urban systems.
- Urban economic issues – population decline, urban public finance, sustainability, urban transport problem and solutions.
- Urban change and the property market local office market cycles, the influence of financial institutions and the local land market on urban change.
- Property-led local economic development policies – historical perspective, financial incentives, grants to developers, the role of housing, measurements of success
- Reasons for planning
- Development Planning
- Urbanisation and Urban development
- Development and property rights
- Development Management
- Environmental Assessment
- Globalisation and urban transitions
- The Course will seek to cover the key aspects of property and asset management having regard to current practice and RICS guidelines upon relevant competencies.
- Law of contract, delict, land ownership and lease law
- Strategy Management intro and the role of management within surveying
- Financial management/Sinking funds/service charge
- Lease management
- Marketing and negotiation
- Physical property management
- Concepts of obsolescence
- Buy/lease/outsource decision-making and financial analysis
- Real Estate management models
- Scenario planning
- International comparison of real estate strategies
- Sustainable development, buildings and corporate social responsibility
- On campus students will embark on a field exercise/trip linked into case studies. Off campus students will work on simulated exercises/case studies.
- The real estate market and the property development industry.
- The factors influencing the development decision.
- The techniques of development appraisal including cash flow techniques and risk analysis.
- The nature of planning agreements and their impact on development appraisal.
- The general form and content of real estate development and investment finance
Students are supported throughout Research Dissertation by an allocated supervisor. There is no formal syllabus, the research project process is supported by VLE with on line resources including PowerPoint slide packs and written guidance material on aspects of good practice in preparing the research project work. Students are introduced to research project requirements early.
*Modules are subjected to change by the College
Include both Examinations and Coursework.
All assessments are set and marked by Heriot-Watt University staff.
Examinations are held thrice yearly.
Examinations are administrated and invigilated by the British Council.
- A minimum of 75% attendance is required
- Minimum mark of 40% is required to pass each module
Mode of Delivery
This programme offers a comprehensive delivery of study materials and support systems.
Award of Degree
The degree is awarded by Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
These are the most common jobs students go into after graduating:
- Portfolio Manager
- Real Estate Management consultant
- Property Developer
- Property Manager
- Urban Planner
According to our surveys, our graduates tend to experience an average salary increment of up to 38% after completing their studies with us.
- *S$25,800 exclusive of GST
- Fees are collected in 4 interest-free installments
- Programme fee includes recommended Textbooks, HWU E-Library, VLE, VPN, examinations and assessments.
*Fees are subjected to change without notice
- *S$250 (non-refundable) Application and eligibility assessment.
- *Administration Fees: S$400
- Fees payable are subjected to prevailing GST.
*Fees are subjected to change without notice